VISUALIZING THE SLAPPEY PLEDGE: THE THIRD EGG [VIDEO]


I WILL BE THE THIRD EGG. I will find ways to create value for customers through economical means. I realize I make the difference in a customer's satisfaction. I will not describe things as "easy" but will instead reinforce the value of what we do in each interaction with our customers.

WATCH THE VIDEO HERE:


After attending a small conference in Vermont, Jimmy decides to grab breakfast at a local restaurant on his way out of town. He finds two quaint little restaurants across the street from each other on Main Street. Seeing that the one on the left has a full parking lot, he decides that must be the preferred place in town to eat. He is seated and has a very nice breakfast. The service and food were both great, but there seemed to be something more he couldn't quite put his finger on. He notices that the name tag on the guy filling his coffee cup is the same as the name on the door, so he starts a conversation with him:

Jimmy: Are you the owner?

Owner: Sure, I guess you could call me that. I mainly just try to make happy customers.  

Jimmy: Yes, I can see that. I work in marketing for a firm in Chicago and I've noticed you seem to have something special here, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Owner: What do you mean?

Jimmy: Well, I noticed when pulling up that you have 3-4 times the number of patrons as the restaurant across the street. What's your secret?

Owner: Yeah, well, you know, I just don't like…

Jimmy: Look, I'm from out of town and won't ever be back here. I won't tell anyone!

Owner: (leans in and whispers) It's the third egg!

Jimmy: What's the third egg?

Owner: Most other restaurants only include two eggs in their orders of eggs, but since an egg only costs me a nickel I throw the third egg in for free. That's how I eggcede their eggspectations. 

Jimmy: Yes! That's what I couldn't quite put my finger on! It's the third egg!

This short story illustrates the simple truth that we must constantly find ways to increase our value to our customers in ways that do not cost the company a lot of money. For Slappey, the #1 way we do this is through YOU! The thing that makes Slappey head and shoulders above our competition is our people and our attention to our customers. We are a customer focused company. You are the third egg. We must find those small things we can do to take our value up a notch each time we interact with the customer.  Here are a few quick examples:

  • Describe what we have to do for a customer with the true level of complication and experience that it takes but remind the customer it is at no charge under Managed Services.
  • Remember small personal details (like that their daughter plays soccer) and ask how it is going the next time we see them.
  • Always demonstrate a positive attitude and be consistent with the company with phrases like "I would be glad to help you" or "it's my pleasure" or "is there anything else I can do for you?"
  • The way we handle emergencies focuses on solving the customer's business problems, not just their technology problems, and being proactive in solving those problems.


So what do I say when someone asks me "What's the third egg?" I say this: When you go to a diner and order eggs you expect to get two, but at Slappey we give you three.  While we don't serve actual eggs, we do go above and beyond through the quality of our people. That's why we say "I am the third egg."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Outsourcing: an overview

So, what is this “Unified Communications” thing, anyhow?

MSPs save money And you get stuff that matters